Thursday, September 1, 2011

Headache update

I went to a headache class provided by Kaiser today. I learned some of the triggers of headaches and ways to prevent and treat headaches without medication. I gotta go get some salonpas and peppermint oil and see if those work for me. All I know it those salonpas smell like the best piece of mint gum ever. If I didn’t know what it was I might have popped it in my mouth right then. lol And the peppermint oil seems like a good idea too. I have chewed gum in the past to help provide some headache relief, but the act of moving my jaw sometimes contributes to the headache. The peppermint oil goes right in the nose to help cool and loosen muscles and relax everything in the head and face region. I’ll have to give it a try. We were also given a list of foods to avoid and use with caution that may also be triggers of headaches. There are some things on that list I didn’t expect. Aged cheeses are on the avoid list while milk is actually fine. ALL nuts are on the avoid list (dang). And MSG is only of the precautionary list, not avoidable all together.
This class was the prerequisite to having an appointment with the neurologist. I will get a call in the next few days to schedule an appointment with the neurologist. She will help me discover the specific triggers I have and find a combination of behavioral, cognitive, medicinal and topical treatments to better manage and deal with my headaches. I of course need to be realistic and realize that not all headaches will be eliminated but reducing the frequency and severity will be the key focus.

Gone (hopefully) are the days of puking my guts out at work and having vacations interrupted by migraines. I’m glad I called patient services and went to see Mr. Hicks (a PA that works in Colton). My primary physician was a major tool and told me “there’s no known cause to migraines and all we can do is give you medicine to help you manage the pain.” Apparently this guy needs to go back to med school and shred his M.D. from Doctors-R-Us. Thank you Mr. Hicks for having more brains and experience than that so called Doctor.

No comments: